On September 12, 1948, 29 charter members constituted the First Missionary Baptist Church in the home of Dr. Robert Weyler at 630 Marshall Avenue in Clarksville, IN. Dr. Weyler served as pastor until September 1949. Rev. William Lee was called, and meetings were held in a garage, then at McCulloch Chapel which was located on the property currently occupied by Pep Boys on Lewis and Clark Pkwy.
In 1951, First Missionary Baptist Church was renamed First Southern Baptist Church of Clarksville, IN. Ground was purchased on Ettels Lane, and in June of 1954, a new sanctuary was dedicated. Rev Lyndon Collings served as pastor from 1954-1960. Under his leadership, several missions were sponsored, and a four week evangelistic revival was experienced. An educational wing begun during this pastorate was completed in 1961. November 7, 1969, the sanctuary was destroyed by fire. In 1971, under the pastorate of Rev Franklin Samuels, the present sanctuary was completed.
The current pastor, Rev Russell Lievers, began serving December 21, 1997. In 2001, renovation of the overflow area was accomplished. The renovation of the existing sanctuary was completed in 2003. In April of 2006, ground was broken for a 16,000 foot expansion which would include a Family Life Center, a youth wing, a preschool wing, additional office space and classrooms, a choir rehearsal area and a new kitchen. Dedication of the new expanded facility took place on June 3, 2007. To God be the Glory!
Following 64 years of service, our Mission continues “To worship God in spirit and truth, To lead others at home and around the world to faith in Christ, To help believers develop into mature and obedient disciples, To serve people’s needs in the name of Jesus.”